I remember starting the University of Oregon in the Fall of 2010 and thinking “June 2014 is sooooo far away; I have plenty of time to figure things out.” Psych! It really wasn’t that far away. And I don’t have much figured out. But they say that life is about the journey and not the destination, right?
Anyways, now that I’m wrapping up my second-to-last term, I am starting to look for jobs that have things like benefits, paid time off and a 401(k) plan…wut. I’m faced with huge decisions like, do I want to take some time off to travel? Should I get a job right away? Where should I move? The possibilities are endless.
I recently discovered a list of “22 Things only Second-Semester Seniors Understand” from the Huffington Post and something about it instantly resonated with me. So, naturally I was inspired to write my own list. Alas, here are 14 things I have come to realize as my college experience comes to an end:
1. You say “I think I’m having a quarter life crisis” at least once a day.
2. You actually become friends with your professors and you follow each other on twitter.
3. You know all of the bouncers and bartenders at every campus bar by name.
4. You keep telling yourself to “live in the moment,” but you’re too busy with projects, studying and applying for jobs to actually enjoy your last term.
5. You begin to realize who you will keep in touch with after graduation, and who will fall by the wayside.
6. You want to throw a brick at the next person who asks you what your plans are after graduation.
7. You have an anxiety attack every time you think about how fast time has gone, because you realize it will just keep getting faster from here.
8. Every time you check Facebook, you see another one of your high school friends is engaged or pregnant.
9. You feel old and creepy at house parties.
10. You become a pro at writing cover letters.
11. You are constantly in this weird limbo state of emotions, where you feel sad/anxious/excited/happy/proud because you have worked so incredibly hard to get to where you are, and you know it’s about to all pay off.
12. You look for ways to casually bring up graduation in conversations because it makes you feel cool.
13. Knowing that you could move almost anywhere after college is the most terrifying yet exciting feeling in the world.
14. You’re afraid of failing at life after college.
Do you have anything to add to the list? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!